- Brief History of Development of Computers
- Computer System Concept
- Computer System Characteristics/Features
- Limitations of Computer
- Types of Computers -Personal Computer (PCs) – IBM PCs, Types of PCs- Desktop, Laptop, Notebook, Palmtop, etc.
- Basic Components of a Computer System – Control Unit, ALU, Input/Output semiconductor Memory.
- Memory – Primary Vs Secondary memory.
- Input Devices :Keyboard, Mouse, Joystick, Scanners, Digital Camera, MICR, OCR, OMR, Light pen, Touch Screen.
- Output Devices
- Monitors – Characteristics and types of monitor, Size, Resolution, Refresh Rate, Dot Pitch, Video Standard – VGA, SVGA, XGA etc.
- Printers – Daisy wheel, Dot Matrix, Inkjet, Laser.
- Various Storage Devices – Magnetic Disks, Hard Disk Drives, Floppy, Disks, Optical Disks
- Computer Software, Need, Types of Software’s – System software, Application software System Software Operating System, compiler ,Assemblers, Interpreter .
- Operating Systems –Functions ,Types- Batch, Single, Multiprogramming, Multiprocessing
- Programming languages- Machine, Assembly, High Level, 4GL
- Application Software – Word-processing, Spreadsheet, Presentation Graphics, Data Base Management Software
- Number System, Number System of computers- Binary, Octal, Hexadecimal, their conversion.
- Coding System – ASCII, EBCDIC.
- Direction of Transmissions Flow-Simplex, Half Duplex Full Duplex
- Types of Network – LAN, WAN, MAN etc.
- Topology- Ring, Bus, Star, Mesh and Tree topology.
- What is Virus
- Virus working principals
- Types of viruses
- Virus detection and Prevention Viruses on network.