COMPUTERS FUNDAMENTALS DCA NOTES
UNIT I –
- Brief history of development of computers
- Computer system concepts
- Computer system characteristics
- Basic components of a computer system – Control unit, ALU, Input/ Output
- semiconductor Memory functions and characteristics
- Memory – RAM, ROM, EPROM, PROM and other types of memory, Capabilities and limitations
- Generations of computers
- Types of computers – Analog& Digital & Hybrid Computers, General & Special Purpose computers, -Micro,Mini, Main frame and Super computers, Characteristics and area of Uses.
- Personal Computer (PCs-evolution of PCs, configurations of PCs, Pentium and Newer, PCs specifications and main characteristics, Types of PCs- Desktop, Laptop, Notebook, Palmtop, PDA etc.
UNIT II –
- Input Devices: Keyboard, Mouse, Trackball, Joystick, Scanners, Digitizing tablet, Digital Camera, MICR, OCR, OMR, Light pen, Barcode & Barcode Reader, Quick Response Code (QR Code), Voice Recognition, Touch Screen.
- Output Devices-
- Monitors- Characteristics and types of monitor, Size, Digital, Analog, Resolution, Refresh Rate, Interlaced / Non-Interlaced, Dot Pitch
- Video Standard- VGA, SVGA, XGA etc.
- Printers and its Types Impact and Non-Impact printer, Dot Matrix, Inkjet, Laser
- 3D Printers
- Sound Card and Speakers.
UNIT III –
Storage Fundamentals –
- Primary Vs Secondary
- Data Storage and Retrieval Methods- Sequential, Direct and Index Sequential
- Various Storage Devices – Magnetic Disks, Hard Disk Drives, Floppy Disk, Zip DriveOptical Disks, CD, VCD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD,DVD-RW,Video Disk, Blue Ray Disc, flashiness/ MMC Memory cards, Solid-Stat Drive (SSD),
- Physical structure of hard disk
- Physical structure of Floppy Disk
- drive naming conventions in PC.
UNIT IV –
UNIT V –
- Use of communication and IT Communication Process
- Component of communication- sender, receiver, transmission medium & protocol
- Communication types- Simplex, Half Duplex, Full Duplex.
- Communication Channels- Twisted, Coaxial, Fiber Optic, Modem-Working and characteristics.
- Types of network- client/ server and peer-to-peer networks
- Types of connections- Dial up, Leased Lines, ISDN, DSL, RF, Broad band uses, advantages & disadvantages.
- Types or Network- LAN, WAN , MAN
- What is VPN .
- Topologies of LAN – Ring, Bus, Star, Mesh and Tree topologies structure, uses, advantage & disadvantages
- components of LAN- Media, NIC, NOS
- Network devices – Bridges, HUB, Routers, Repeater, Gateways uses, advantages & disadvantages.