FUNDAMENTALS OF COMPUTERS & INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY PGDCA NOTES
UNIT – I
- Computer System Concepts
- Application area of Computer
- Advantage of Computer
- Disadvantage of Computer
- Components of a computer system – Control unit, ALU, Input / Output, Memory Mother Board
- Generations of computers
- Configurations of Computer system
- Types of PCs Desktop, Laptop, Notebook, Palmtop, PDA, Special Purpose computers, Supercomputers Characteristics and area of Uses
- Primary Vs Secondary Memory
- RAM, ROM, EPROM, PROM.
- Various Storage Devices- Magnetic Disks, Hard Disk Drives, Floppy, Disks, Zip Drive, Optical Disks, CD, VCD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-RW, Blue Ray Disc, flash drives SD/MMC Memory cards, Solid-State Drive (SSD).
UNIT – II
- Input Devices: Keyboard, Mouse, Trackball, Joystick, Scanners, Digitizing tablet, Digital Camera, MICR, OCR, OMR, Light pen, Barcode & Barcode Reader, Quick Response Code (QR Code), Voice Recognition, Touch Screen.
- Output Devices-
- Monitors- Characteristics and types of monitor, Size, Digital, Analog, Resolution, Refresh Rate, Interlaced/Non-Interlaced, Dot Pitch
- Video Standard- VGA, SVGA, XGA etc.
- Printers and its Types Impact and Non-Impact printer, Dot Matrix, Inkjet, Laser
- 3D Printers
- Sound Card and Speakers.
UNIT – III
UNIT – IV
- Use of communication and IT Communication Process
- Component of communication- sender, receiver, transmission medium & protocol
- Communication types- Simplex, Half Duplex, Full Duplex.
- Communication Channels- Twisted, Coaxial, Fiber Optic, Modem-Working and characteristics.
- Types of network- client/ server and peer-to-peer networks
- Types of connections- Dial up, Leased Lines, ISDN, DSL, RF, Broad band uses, advantages & disadvantages.
- Types or Network- LAN, WAN , MAN
- What is VPN .
- Topologies of LAN – Ring, Bus, Star, Mesh and Tree topologies structure, uses, advantage & disadvantages
- components of LAN- Media, NIC, NOS
- Network devices – Bridges, HUB, Routers, Repeater, Gateways uses, advantages & disadvantages.
UNIT – V
- Disk Operating System (DOS): Introduction
DOS Basics –
- DOS Commands: Internal – DIR, MD, CD, RD, COPY, COPY CON, DEL, REN. External TREE, FORMAT, SORT, FDISK, MODE, ATIIRIB, HELP, SYS etc.,
- Concepts of Free/Open Source and proprietary software
- applications and use of computer in various fields.
- History of Linux
- Features of Linux
- Hardware Requirements of Linux
- Various flavors of Linux
- Linux Standard Directories
- Functions of Profile and Login Files in Linux
- Linux Kernel
- Login and Logout from Linux System
- Linux commands- be, cal, cat, cd, clear, cmp, cp, mv, date, find, ls, pwd, mkdir, more, rm, rmdir, chgrp, chmod, who, whois